Notting Hill Carnival – London geared up for fun
News & Updates / July 19, 2016
Between 26 and 27th August there is just one place to be in London – and that is Notting Hill which is just a short car ride from beautiful Presidential Marylebone Mayfair. This is Carnival time and the streets of Notting Hill (and the surrounding area) truly come alive with the sound of music.
- It’s the perfect place to party and dance the whole day through. There are pop up parties around the countless sound systems to be found in all the side streets throughout Notting Hill, Ladbroke Grove and Westbourne Park. Anyone can join in. Just stroll around until you find the music that appeals to you from soca and reggae to calypso and house music. It is also a great way to find out what types of music are likely to be growing in popularity. This is where new sounds, new ideas and new types of music often start their life. Feel like dressing up? Check out carnival outfits, costumes and fancy dress, preferably the more sequins, glitter and feathers that can be included the more likely you are to look like one of the performers. Expect colour, vibrancy, spectacle and never-ending, throbbing music!
- Enjoy carnival parades that are the most spectacular to be found outside South America. Set up in the 1960’s as an off shoot of the famous Trinidad carnival; the Notting Hill Carnival has grown to be the biggest street party in Europe involving around 50,000 performers! Costumes are vivid, colourful, exuberant and spectacular.
- It is extremely popular attracting over one million people every year. Long waits at underground stations are normal – they are often closed temporarily in order to reduce congestion. Consider too the sheer amount of food that is eaten such as 16,000 coconuts, 10,000 litres of Jamaican stout, and a ton of rice and peas. Street vendors do a massive trade selling all kinds of food especially Caribean specialities such as jerk chicken.
- This is a Carnival that appeals to everyone. Reports are that Prince Charles is a big fan of the Notting Hill Carnival. Thousands of people descend on the area each day of the carnival from all over London, together with countless tourists staying in affordable Aparthotels London, to enjoy the fun.
- Carnival is not just two days – for the really keen, the parties start on Friday 26 and continue right through the weekend with innumerable after parties too, often starring big names in the garage, hip hop and reggae music scene.
So, If you are in London this August with your family, book a stay in Holiday Apartments London near to the event to save on time.